Glastonbury hailed 'great success'
12:41pm Sunday 29th June 2014 in © Press Association 2014
Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis has hailed this year's festival as a "great success" and said he already has next year's headliners sorted.
The farmer, who put on the first festival at his farm in 1970, was sworn to secrecy about who the acts were, but said one band was not British and Prince was not among them.
Asked about Metallica's top spot on the Pyramid Stage last night, he said the heavy metallers had played "like their lives depended on it".
Michael previously defended the decision to have Metallica as one of this year's three headliners on the Pyramid Stage, saying no other band had ever been so "keen" to play.
Speaking today on the edge of his farm overlooking the vast Somerset site, he said: "I thought they put so much into it, it was like their lives depended upon it.
"They just delivered a show and people loved it.
"I promised them the chance to come about 20 years ago and so the time was now. We could give them the slot this time for the first time.
"I think they filled it very, very well. Extremely well. So I think we're lucky to have them actually."
Michael said the 44th festival had been a "great success again, in spite of the mud and everything".
"But we have had wetter years than this," he added. "Everybody loves it - the fans that come, the bands that played. The best place to be really basically."
Asked about the future of the festival, the 78-year-old, who organises the mammoth event with his daughter Emily, said: "We've got a few more years.
"Myself, I think I can run another six years, which would take me up to about 50 years.. and then see what happens after that."
Michael said he remained hopeful that Prince would one day play.
"We're always having a go at Prince, but you know it's up to him whether he wants to do it or not.
"Most of the people in the world want to play here so I did ask him to hop on the train and come down to Castle Cary station and I'll show him around the farm some time.
"It hasn't been taken up yet though."
He went on: "We've got three headliners for next year already. And that's without Prince.
"I had an agent yesterday on the platform on the stage, I was watching Metallica and he was saying my band want it next year.
"I can't tell you who they are. The band are not British."
He said he - like most people on site - was looking forward to seeing country queen Dolly Parton take to the Pyramid Stage this afternoon for what has become known as the "legend's slot".
"I'm really looking forward to hearing some of her songs live for the first time in my life," he said. "Because the records are so good. They go on and on forever."