Rape quiz singer axed by X Factor
10:05am Thursday 3rd July 2014 in © Press Association 2014
A pop hopeful who had been questioned about a rape allegation prior to trying out for The X Factor has been dropped from the contest.
The unnamed man, in his 20s, went to an audition for the ITV show last month attended by panellists Simon Cowell, Cheryl Cole, Mel B and Louis Walsh.
Programme bosses have now decided he will go no further in the show and his performance will not be broadcast when the series is screened later in the summer.
The wannabe has been asked to step down after failing to declare that he had been quizzed in a police investigation when given the opportunity.
Contestants are asked whether they have any convictions, whether they have been arrested or have charges pending.
He is understood to have gone to police voluntarily and has not been charged with any offence. He has also denied any wrongdoing.
A spokesman for the show said: "In light of the situation and the ongoing police investigation it has been decided that it is best for the person in question to no longer be a part of this year's competition."
A programme insider said: "Contestants are asked as part of the application process to declare if they have any criminal convictions or if they have been arrested. The person in question did not make us aware of his arrest or the ongoing police investigation."