Ora: Calvin vetoed Teen Choice song
2:13pm Wednesday 13th August 2014 in © Press Association 2014
Rita Ora has claimed her last minute withdrawal from the Teen Choice Awards was because her ex-boyfriend Calvin Harris prevented her from performing the song she had planned.
The 23-year-old singer had apparently been due to sing I Will Never Let You Down - a song she and Calvin wrote and recorded together before their split - but the Scottish DJ refused permission for the track to be included in the ceremony.
Rita told US radio DJ Ryan Seacrest: "For anybody who doesn't understand how it works, he wrote and produced the song. So he has to approve anything TV-wise, for anybody who doesn't get it.
"And obviously he owns the rights to it and he didn't approve the Teen Choice Awards."
Asked how she felt about Calvin's last minute refusal Rita said: "I could have got told a few weeks earlier, you know. That would have been nice. It was a last minute change, but you know what, it happens and we move on and move forward.
"It is what it is, man. You know, you write a song with somebody, and I guess there's some stuff that comes with it... Everything happens for a reason, that's how I look at it."
She admitted that she was angry, but "[more] for my fans" than for "my own selfish reasons". "The show was going to be awesome and... I [even] put my own money into the performance, like I always do."
Calvin announced on Twitter in June that his relationship with Rita had ended. They had been dating for about a year.
Speaking about the song she said: "It's basically a love song you can dance to.
"I wrote this with a really special person, and it was the first time I ever kind of opened my doors up for somebody I knew personally. So, this song was written out of love and I [liked it], it was convenient for the time it was written. But you know, people move on and move forward, but the song still has the same message."