Man and dog found dead on boat

Congleton Guardian: Firefighters were called to a canal boat where a man and his dog were found dead Firefighters were called to a canal boat where a man and his dog were found dead

A man and his dog have been found dead on a canal boat which firefighters believe may have been caused by carbon monoxide or other toxic fumes.

Police and fire crews attended the boat on the Oxford Canal at Tramway, Banbury, Oxfordshire, at 1.30pm on Thursday after they were alerted to the deaths by South Central Ambulance Service

One fire engine from Banbury was sent and on arrival a crew boarded the boat wearing breathing apparatus and carrying gas monitoring equipment.

An Oxfordshire fire service spokesman said: "No toxic atmosphere was detected and the boat was declared safe to enable further investigations to be made by the police, but sadly both the man and his pet dog were pronounced dead at the scene."

Watch manager John Callaway said: "Although the cause of this tragic incident has yet to be determined and is an on-going investigation by the police, there are a number of appliances common to both boats and caravans, as well as houses, that have the ability to produce toxic fumes.

"It is our advice that all such equipment is professionally installed by a qualified technician and serviced regularly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. We also recommend that both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted and tested weekly."

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree