Two killed in five-vehicle crash
12:39pm Wednesday 16th April 2014 in © Press Association 2014
Two people have died and seven have been taken to hospital after a five-vehicle motorway horror smash in rush hour traffic.
Two lorries, two cars and a box van were involved in the collision on the London-bound carriageway of the M26 in Kent, near Kemsing just after 9.30am.
It is not known how serious the injuries are, although passengers were taken to hospital by South East Coast Ambulance Service.
The crash closed the M26 in both directions but a spokesman for Kent Police said the east-bound stretch now had one lane open but traffic was moving slowly.
The London-bound carriageway is expected to remain closed until 10pm.
Traffic on the London-bound carriageway has been redirected back to join the M20 at Wrotham Heath.
A spokesman for the Highways Agency said there were hour-long delays on the one lane open on the M26 eastbound. The second eastbound lane and the M26 westbound between M20 and M25 remain closed.
The spokesman said its contractors were helping emergency services to try to reopen the road.
Police said those taken to hospital were in a "serious condition" while Kent Fire and Rescue Service said two children had been released from one of the cars.
Hundreds of motorists were left stranded in traffic for several hours following the pile-up, according to the Red Cross, which sent emergency teams to the scene.
A spokesman said: "Fire and emergency response volunteers are on hand to provide food, water and first aid where needed to people caught in the congestion."
Chief Inspector Matt Kendall said anyone who saw the events leading up to the collision, or the crash itself, and who had since left the scene without speaking to police, should call the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 01622 798538.