Burglary attack: Second man charged
3:40am Thursday 14th August 2014 in © Press Association 2014
A second man has been charged in connection with a burglary in which a homeowner was left with "extreme facial injuries" after being beaten by masked men.
Police released an image of the injuries suffered by the victim, who has been named in reports as university law lecturer Paul Kohler, after he was attacked in Wimbledon, south-west London,
A 23-year-old man arrested at the scene was charged with grievous bodily harm and aggravated burglary this morning and will appear at Wimbledon Magistrates Court today, Scotland Yard said.
A 32-year-old man appeared before Wimbledon magistrates yesterday on the same charges, b ut two other suspects are still on the run and police are trying to trace them.
Officers were called to the property at 10pm on Monday following reports that a burglary was taking place at an address in Kings Road.
It is understood the 55-year-old victim opened the front door to four men who entered his home.
The man was attacked, while a 50-year-old woman was also threatened.
Their daughter and a man, both in their early 20s and who were upstairs at the time, managed to call 999 for help from a locked room.
Police said officers were on the scene within minutes and arrested two suspects in their late 20s.
The two others made off on foot and one headed towards Wimbledon town centre, police said. It is not known which direction the other man took.
Both remain at large and are believed to be aged between 20 and 30, and of eastern European heritage.
The injured man is in a south London hospital receiving treatment for multiple facial injuries and bruising to the body and limbs. He is undergoing surgery and treatment for a fractured eye socket.
A number of personal items stolen in the burglary are all believed to have been recovered after being discarded and a large kitchen knife was found close to the scene, police said.
Detective Inspector Dan O'Sullivan of Merton Burglary Squad said the victim and his family were "distraught" and could not understand why they had been targeted.
He said: "I'm appealing to anyone who was in the area between 9pm and 11pm to come forward and speak to us if they heard or saw anything suspicious. We are also seeking information regarding a silver car the suspects may have used.
"The fast response to the 999 call ensured that two suspects were apprehended and the victim could receive immediate first aid.
"I must stress that this appears to be an isolated incident, and such cases are thankfully rare."
Anyone with information is urged to call the incident room on 020 8649 3159; or if you wish to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.