Lotus confident over nose design
2:05pm Tuesday 28th January 2014 in © Press Association 2014
Lotus are confident the FIA will not ban their radical nose design.
Toro Rosso technical director James Key questioned the legality of the E22's 'twin-tusk' shape, which is fundamentally different to any of the other 10 cars that have so far been revealed for this season.
Key acknowledged the nose was "a clever design", but perhaps needed clarification as it was an "extreme" one which potentially compromised the spirit of the regulations.
Confident Enstone-based Lotus has the support of the FIA, technical director Nick Chester said: "As you know we have passed all the necessary crash tests.
"We are very confident our design complies with all the FIA legal requirements.
"We have just taken an innovative direction, and one that's different to the other teams.
"Where there are so many variations in design, there is always bound to be a little talk, but we remain relaxed and focused on our design and progression."
The differentiation between the noses is due to the interpretation of the teams with regard to the new regulations.
Chester added: "There appear to be some elegant solutions and others that certainly don't look as nice.
"We're very happy with the direction we have taken and it will be very interesting to see how the cars perform once we get a proper chance to compare them on track."
Lotus are the only team not present at the opening pre-season test in Jerez due to delays with their build, stemming from financing issues.
Chester is confident, however, they will be on track for the second test in Bahrain next month as he said: "The car's coming together pretty well now.
"The build is well advanced and we think we'll be in good shape for Bahrain come the next test."