White confirms fixing investigation
10:57am Thursday 15th May 2014 in © Press Association 2014
New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White has confirmed that some Auckland Aces matches are being investigated in the International Cricket Council's fixing probe.
The focus is on Twenty20 matches played by the Aces in the Champions League tournament in South Africa two years ago, and White said none of the matches being investigated were played in New Zealand.
"We have been informed by the ICC that some Auckland Aces matches in the Champions League in South Africa in 2012 are being investigated. I would like to stress that we understand this is very much an isolated incident," White said.
"Match-fixing is a threat to cricket around the globe and we remain 100 per cent behind the ICC and its focus on fighting corruption."
White also stressed that no current New Zealand players are being investigated, nor are matches involving New Zealand's national teams.
White's media briefing was prompted by reports in the Daily Telegraph that the ICC was probing " widespread fixing across the cricketing world".
Former New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent confirmed late last year that he was assisting an investigation by the ICC's anti-corruption unit.
Vincent, who became a Twenty20 specialist playing in England, India, Zimbabwe, South Africa and New Zealand when his international career ended in 2007 after 23 Tests and 103 one-day internationals, said in December: "I wish to let everyone know that I am co-operating with an ongoing ICC anti-corruption investigation that has been made public.
"This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment."
White also revealed New Zealand Cricket was being kept fully briefed on the investigations by the ICC.
"They are working hard on it," he said. "Corruption is something that they're determined to address. No stone is being left unturned."