President disgusted by Suarez ban
11:52am Monday 30th June 2014 in © Press Association 2014
Uruguayan president Jose Mujica has called FIFA "a bunch of old sons of b*****s" in another attack on football's world governing body following Luis Suarez's lengthy ban for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.
The 79-year-old also described the Liverpool striker's four-month suspension from all football, plus nine international matches and a £65,000 fine, as a "fascist ban".
Mujica, who had said previously that Suarez was being punished by FIFA because of his humble background, continued his verbal assault at a reception for the Uruguay team after they returned home from the World Cup following their 2-0 defeat to Colombia in the last 16.
Asked by a journalist what his lasting memory of the World Cup would be, Mujica said: "FIFA are a bunch of old sons of b*****s."
The president then covered his mouth to feign shock at what he had just said, but when asked by the journalist if he wanted to rectify his comments, he responded: "Publish it."
Mujica then conceded that Suarez deserved to be punished for his bite on Chiellini during last week's World Cup Group D clash in Natal - the third such incident in the Uruguay striker's professional career - but criticised the severity of the ban.
"They could have punished him, but not given him this fascist ban," added Mujica.
The Uruguay football federation has informed FIFA it will appeal against Suarez's ban.
On Saturday, it emerged that Suarez's defence against a charge of biting an opponent was that he lost his balance and hit his face on Chiellini's shoulder . Those claims were dismissed by FIFA's seven-man disciplinary committee before imposing the punishment on the 27-year-old .
Meanwhile, Suarez has been offered a short-term sanctuary in Kosovan football while he serves his ban.
Hajvalia, who won last season's Kosovar Cup and finished sixth in the league, have made an opportunistic offer to take Suarez on loan.
With Kosovo not yet recognised as a full FIFA member, the club believe Suarez's ban would not extend to the country's league - although financial considerations would still need to be overcome for the ambitious deal to become a reality.
Director Xhavit Pocolli told Kosovan daily Sport Plus: "Suarez can't play in the next four months. As we are not part of FIFA yet, I think he can play in Kosovo, so we have an offer that we will send to Liverpool.
"We offered 30,000 euros (£24,000) and a salary of 1,500 (euros, £1,200) for each month. This might sound ridiculous to him, but that is all we can do.
"If he is willing to come and play for us, he is welcome. As we are not part of FIFA, it would be ideal for him."
Meanwhile, Barcelona claim they have the financial power to lure Luis Suarez to the Nou Camp this summer.
Despite being sent home from the World Cup in disgrace, Suarez has been touted as the club's prime transfer target this summer and could cost up to £85 million.
Barca have already spent 42million euros (£33.6 million) on capturing midfielder Ivan Rakitic from Sevilla and goalkeepers Marc-Andre Ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo from Borussia Monchengladbach and Real Sociedad respectively, but pocketed around £30million in the sale of Cesc Fabregas to Chelsea.
The club's economic vice president Javier Faus insists there is plenty more money to buy whoever coach Luis Enrique wants.
Speaking at the announcement of a sponsorship deal between the club and appliances company Beko, Faus explained the club's finances were in rude health.
"In the last three years Barca have been earning money and reducing their debt at a large rate and are stronger financially," he said.
"We can realise all the sporting challenges and signings our coaches and sporting director want."
Barcelona are reported to be in negotiations with Liverpool for Suarez, with Chilean forward Alexis Sanchez as a possible makeweight in the transfer.
If the transfer is completed, Barca would be able to field a potentially terrifying front three of the Uruguayan, Lionel Messi and Neymar.
However, the club are also expected to sign a central defender, with long-standing captain Carles Puyol hanging up his boots at the end of last season.
FIFA refused to respond to the Uruguay president's remarks.
A spokeswoman said: "We have no comment to make on this - we have seen it in the media but we are making no comment."