Raikkonen may quit again
8:11pm Thursday 3rd July 2014 in © Press Association 2014
Kimi Raikkonen has revealed he will likely quit Formula One again once his current deal with Ferrari expires at the end of 2015.
Raikkonen dropped the bombshell at Silverstone ahead of the British Grand Prix this weekend, and just eight races into his second coming at Ferrari which has so far been a bitter disappointment.
Struggling with a car not to his liking, the hotly-anticipated scrap with team-mate Fernando Alonso has failed to materialise as the Spaniard has comfortably out-qualified and out-raced the Finn.
Asked as to his plans for the future and whether or not he was in it for the long haul at Ferrari, Raikkonen said: "Until my contract is finished, and then I will probably stop.
"That is what I think is going to happen."
Raikkonen, however, is unsure as yet what other discipline - if any - he will likely pursue should he firmly decide to exit the sport for a second time.
After leaving F1 in 2009 - albeit effectively forced out of Ferrari with a year remaining on his contract as the Maranello marque brought in Alonso - Raikkonen tried his hand at rallying for two years.
The 34-year-old returned to F1 in 2011 and spent two successful years with Lotus prior to his switch to Ferrari.
"I've tried many things and I think there is no harm in it. It doesn't take anything away from me doing F1," added the 2007 world champion.
"I think it can only help. You always learn if you try different things.
"But the teams are scared we get hurt. In the past when I was in Ferrari I could not do rallies.
"It would be nice, not just for us but for the fans, if we could do many things."
But asked whether a more flexible contract with Ferrari that would allow him to try other things would convince him to stay, he replied: "No, I don't think so.
"Doing something else makes no difference about F1 and my future right now."
Ferrari, meanwhile, have confirmed a sponsorship deal with Gene Haas ahead of the American's entry into Formula One in 2016.
The deal is almost now certain to result in Haas Formula taking on a Ferrari powertrain from that season, with negotiations ongoing.
For now, Haas Automation, who produce computer numerical control machines, will sponsor Ferrari until the end of next year, with the deal coming into force with immediate effect.
Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci said: "Over the past few months, we have been exploring with Haas a number of potential areas of collaboration.
"This agreement is an immediate opportunity we are pursuing, which proves Haas' interest in Formula One.
"In parallel, but as a separate project, Haas is committed to entering Formula One with its own team, with technical discussions ongoing between us."